Suggestion for Daily Use

Follow the ‘Daily Prayer’ at the side+++Suivez le ‘Prière Quotidienne’. Read the bible passages and then the meditation. Pray, tell God how you felt about the reading and share the concerns of your life with him. Maybe you will continue the habit after Lent. Lisez les passages bible et après la méditation. Priez, dites à Dieu que vous avez ressenti à propos de la lecture et de partager les préoccupations de votre vie avec lui. Peut-être que vous allez continuer l'habitude après le Carême. Daily Prayer Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, returned from the Jordan and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness, where for forty days he was tempted by the devil. Luke 4.1-2 Now is the healing time decreed For sins of heart, of word or deed, When we in humble fear record The wrong that we have done the Lord. (Latin, before 12th century) Read: Read the Bible passage. Read the meditation Pray: Talk to God about what you have just read. Tell him your concerns - for yourself, your family, our church family, our world. Praise him. Pray the collect for the week – see next pages. Bless the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me bless his holy name. Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits. Prière Quotidienne Jésus, rempli de l'Esprit Saint, revint du Jourdain et le Saint-Esprit le conduisit dans le désert où il fut tenté par le diable durant quarante jours. Luc 4.1-2 Maintenant le temps de la guérison est décrété Pour les péchés du cœur, de la parole et des actes, Lorsque nous nous souvenons avec humilité Le mal que nous avons fait au Seigneur. Lire : Lisez le passage de la Bible. Lisez la méditation. Prier : Parlez avec le Seigneur de ce que vous avez lu. Parlez-lui de vos préoccupations pour vous-même, votre famille, notre famille de l’église, notre monde. Louez-le. Priez la collecte pour la semaine. Voyez les pages suivantes Mon âme, bénis le Seigneur ! Que tout qui est en moi bénisse son saint nom. Mon âme, bénis le Seigneur, et n’oublie aucun de ses bienfaits !

09 March 2017

9th day of Lent +++ Busy, busy, busy


I write this meditation from Cambridge, hard pressed by all the tasks I’ve said yes to and feeling like there is scarcely enough time to get them all done. I seem pulled in multiple different directions and the one thing I desire is a break. And I certainly can’t say that I’m spending my day thinking “My soul thirsts for God, for the living God.” Instead, I have a far more narrow attitude towards God. I am not thirsting after God, but simply see God as one more thing on my to-do list, another addition to the daily grind. I read those opening verses and I scarcely recognise myself. I just don’t feel like that. I don’t thirst after God. I see God as part of the problem.

However, further into the psalm I find an answer to my stressed and harried state. The psalmist too feels the struggle to desire God: “These things I remember as I pour out my soul” – they are things of the past. Further, God can be asked “Why have you forgotten me?” I see in these verses the struggles we all feel to stay connected to God. However, the psalm shows us that even in a place of desolation, we can still reach out to God, we can still cling to the hope we had before “I will yet praise him/my Saviour and my God.” My training to be a vicar tests and tires me. Too often I can feel like I am all churched out, like God stuff is simply another obstacle in my busy schedule. And yet, I can still reach for my memory of what God has done for me and find that God is faithful. I can still stretch out my weary hand and put my hope in God.

In this time of Lent, I hope to seek out God once more. I am tired, busy, and short of time. But that doesn’t mean I can’t keep looking. And it won’t stop God from being there to be found. 

Nathan Joss

No comments:

Post a Comment